Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Some 50's flair

     Happy Monday!  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend :)  Last week was such a crazy, busy week for me.  Tuesday night was yoga night with my mom, Wednesday I did an impromptu photo shoot with the Delaware News Journal (our local Newspaper) and after work I attended a long meeting for an event I help organize every year called "Kids Runway for Research", Thursday night I modeled for the store for Newark's first annual "Fashion Soiree Night" and Friday ended with a (thankfully) easy night playing games with friends.  So I was definitely looking forward to a low maintenance weekend- with no regimented schedule, just some fun plans and relaxing.  Originally, Daniel and I had some family plans for Saturday but they fell through, so we decided to head to the beach!  We ran into lots of traffic, but luckily with "no schedule" we didn't let it bother us too much, (it should have taken about an hour and a half, it took almost 3!)  We laid on the beach, did some reading, walking in the sand and basking in the sun..
And then we stopped by this charming antique store called the "Millsboro Bazzar".  I haven't been to this amazing vintage mecca for a few years now, and since we were only about 20 minutes away (and the water was cold) I just had to check it out.  I wasn't really expecting to find anything (though I thought it would be nice), to my surprise I REALLY lucked out.  Not only did I find this amazing pink and white 50's eyelet dress (with not a speck on it!) but I also stumbled upon this amazing straw purse.  That made all of that crazy traffic SO worth it!  And the prices were more than reasonable, making the find that much more amazing.  As you probably know, I am mostly an all out colors girl, but I am in love with the classic 50s design, quality fabric and amazing fit of this dress.  I would really love to grow the 50's collection in my closet, but they are hard to come by, and can cost a pretty penny.  I was so lucky to come upon this.  Ahhh, the rest of Saturday my head was in the clouds...
Even Daniel lucked out!  After the Bazaar closed, we checked out an antique store down the street and to Daniel's amazement, there were two comic books he had been searching fervently for- sitting on the shelf in a box that he just happened to pull out and look through.  Amazing.  They were in perfect shape too, like they had never been read!  I had a very happy hubby, who was now more than happy to let me browse and "ooo" and "ahhh" at all of the pretty vintage things, haha :D

The weather has really cooled considerably over here in little ol' Delaware.  It's a little strange since the month of August is usually hot and humid, and pretty muggy.  I am enjoying the little break, but also kind of missing the warm, sunny, weather. But it totally has me thinking about the fall now, and yummy pumpkin and apple flavored everything...hot cocoa, the windows open and warm blankets <3
Dress, beads, earrings, pin & bag- vintage, bracelet- Forever 21, Belt- from my senior prom dress
And in other news...the dress that I am working on is pictured below (I wanted to finally show a snippet) this is the bodice and I am working on the skirt too.  I am just waiting to meet up with Daniel's grandmother (her birthday is today!!) to put all of the pieces together and finish it up.  And on the right is part of the article (in my scrapbook) that came in the paper from the photo shoot last Wednesday.  Pat Benatar (super 80s rocker chick!) came to Longwood Gardens for a concert and the looks we did in the photos were all from the shop I manage, Clothes in the Past Lane, all genuine 80s and totally Pat Benatar inspired!  It was a really fun and quick photo shoot that we sort of just threw together last minute, and I am really glad I got to be a part of it, even though I was super nervous about how the photos would turn out, haha.
I hope you are all having a wonderful week and thanks for checking out my post!!!  If you are also on the lookout for a pretty 50's dress, be sure to check out WhenDecadesCollide- an amazing Etsy dress shop- they are having a great summer sale right now!  I will be sure to check back in with you all soon.  Have a wonderful day! 

xo, Alyssa

13 comments:

  1. the bag here is just so wonderful! your style always brightens my day, it's so cheerful.

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute dress! Love the green belt at your waist!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is adorable. And a relaxing day at the beach sounds wonderful.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your style! You are such a beautiful and cute girl :)
    Follow you now.
    xoxo from Munich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that dress is from the 50's!? It looks brand new. Good thing you went the extra 20 minutes to visit that fabulous place because this piece will serve you so very well from year to year. I love the pink peeping out from underneath!

    Man, I know what you mean--my summer has been busy, too (or what's left of it. I start up college again tomorrow, ha!). I've gotta still get some things over to my place and buy groceries and then classes start tomorrow... and reply to so many blog posts... I feel like I've been slackin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words on my last post!
    What a cute look today, I love the dress so much and the necklace is pretty adorable, too! And, oh my, I'm SO in love with your bag, it's perfect. If you ever want to get rid of it...I give you my address, haha!

    Have a fantastic day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this dress that you're wearing, and the little necklace is so cute! Love the bag, too. And the dress you're working on looks so fun!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these photos -- so otherworldly! the detail in your new purse is absolutely gorgeous -- what an amazing find!

    xo,
    gabby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog! That just reminds me that I need to start following you on Bloglovin'. I've admired your styles on ModCloth for awhile now. You seem like such a sweet person and your use of color is just out of this world. I really enjoy your outfits! Congratulations on the feature, also! You deserve it! <3

    P.S. - Beautiful textures in this outfit, by the way. <3 The perforations in the dress pair beautifully with the knit florals in your bag! I love those little details. ;)

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I wanna go to the beach too ;)
    Sounds really like a busy week but also busy in a good way!? Everything you do sounds so intersting and exiting :)
    Love that dress on you! Really nice! I also love your colorfull outfits but sometimes a little bright dress is just so lovely and one does not need lots of colors :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. your blog is so colourful and fun!!! Consider me your new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had a weird couple-day-long break from the heat too, but now it's back! Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.
    I love this cute little eyelet dress. It's just so gorgeous on you! I love the green belt paired with it.

    ReplyDelete