Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

A weekend in the Mountains...

This weekend was a breath of fresh air.  On Friday Daniel and I escaped in the night to head up to the Poconos and stay at my family's cabin for the weekend.  Of course I  had to make the most of it- so I planned to visit three places and then let the rest result in spontaneous adventures, haha.  

On Saturday, we visited Peddler's village Antique Mall in Tannersville, Pa.  I love going to this place to find little treasures, and I hadn't been in years so I knew there would be a ton of new stuff.  While there isn't any vintage clothing to be found, the knick knacks and jewelry are equally interesting.  The very first booth we stopped in we found these adorable flower power vintage glasses (that were supposedly sour cream glasses originally?), and I spotted some enamel pins and a kitschy vintage pumpkin salt and pepper shaker set.  It was Jubilee Restaurant for dinner that night in Pocono Pines (love that place!) and then movies from Redbox at night. 

On Sunday, we visited the Saylorsburg Flea Market.  Wooowwwweee is this flea market a production.  There were booths as far as the eye could see- and lots of fun vintage costume jewelry.  I just wandered around in a zombie-like stake skimming and scanning my eyes across every table until I saw something of interest.  I was on the lookout for more of my favorite pins- but instead I found three funky vintage necklaces for a total of $10!  Not bad, eh?  After the Flea Market we drove down the street to the nearby Sorrenti Winery for a wine tasting, ohhhhh they have such a wonderful Cabernet, and while I am not usually a huge blush fan, their Cranberry Blush is absolutely divine!
My necklaces from the Saylorsburg Flea Market <3
We hung around the grounds of the Winery for a little while and took a few photos of my outfit.  The weather was beautiful that day and this dress ended up being the perfect choice- light, bright and so comfortable.  At first I wasn't sure how the belt would compliment it- but I like how it completed the rainbow with the purple shoes and all.  I am really getting some good use out of that belt since I had the idea to swipe it off of my high school prom dress- hehe.  Of course, it couldn't be complete without a rainbow necklace ;)
I had a jumping photo in this dress over a year ago, so I figured it was time for a new one :D I know my face is a little intense.. sometimes you just gotta laugh at yourself, haha!
Dress:  Minuet, can be found here , Necklace:  Francesca's, Pin: Vintage, Shoes:  Toms

After our adventure at the Winery we decided to take an impromptu journey to Stroudsburg and tour down Main Street to find some lunch.  Daniel and I had never been to Stroudsburg before, but it sort of reminded me of Newark, with the cute little Main Street lined with shops and eateries, there were some cute antique stores to explore as well.  All in all it was a really refreshing weekend and I am eager to get back up to the mountains, it didn't feel like we had enough time to just go outside and enjoy the scenery, lay next to the lake and take it all in.  There is always more relaxing to be done ;)

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and thank you so much for the incredibly sweet comments on my last post, you are all so kind and thoughtful.  I am grateful to have such thoughtful readers with good hearts! 
xo, Alyssa

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, Alyssa! I've driven through the Poconos plenty of times, but have never been there. Seems like a great antique-ing place! I love this dress (every time I see it on someone, I get dress envy), and you look beautiful. I love that jumping shot of you! :)

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is so lovely! I've been wanting it for a long time. And I have that necklace! Isn't it just great?? It's one of my favs!
    Sounds like a fun weekend! Ha, I live pretty close to Stroudsburg! About 35 mins.

    ~Bristol
    colourmebristol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress and those toms are so cute! I have them in cream but I really like the purple!
    Sounds like you had an awesome and fun weekend! I'd love to just take a couple days to venture into the mountains and visit flea markets!
    Jessi
    http://haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Alyssa! You swiped that belt from your prom dress? That is both hilarious AND totally practical. I like how you roll, girl. Who ever knew something like that would be such a neat everyday accessory? Not I! I really like how it almost adds an extra stripe to your dress--a surprising little pop of lime that draws the eye and adds interest. You're just a walking piece of art, Miss Alyssa! <3

    Your weekend truly does sound refreshing... a walk in the mountains, spending time outside in lovely weather, and relaxing by the lake? Talk about a perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun, happy dress! I miss the Poconos. It's so beautiful. You're so lucky that your family has a cabin there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love weekends in the nature! And I love your little dress :)

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw, love the polaroids. sometimes it's so nice to get away for the weekend. such a good idea to swipe the belt from your prom dress -- it can go with so many different outfits!

    xo,
    gabby

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome <3 This made me smile. I'm so glad you had an awesome time on your mini-vacay. :DDD I love how you're able to take a fairly formal dress and make it wearable casually. That's really key, because it maximizes the number of times the garment is worn. Of course, your use of color is neverendingly inspirational. :P

    Stay sweet!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds incredibly wonderful, I'm so happy for you. I'd love to do something like this, I'm always at work these days... I recognised your stunning dress immediately as the item I've wanted from modcloth for so so long!! I have a similar dress but I always thought the modcloth version was even better. I got the scene and believed dress from modcloth the other day and it reminded me of you since I know you have the same dress... I feel part of the club now, since quite a few bloggers have that iconic dress! Congratulations on your recent modcloth feature too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an amazing weekend! I'm jealous of your flea marketing adventures, it sounds amazing. I'd love to get some vintage things for my kitchen. Those necklaces are so fun too! I love the owl, he's so cute! And I cannot believe that belt was from your prom dress...I wonder if any of mine had belts that I tucked away somewhere...hmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you go to enjoy a little mountain getaway too! It sounds like you guys had so many fun things going on! I adore your primary striped dress too its perfect!
    Hope you're having a wonderful day!
    xo Hannah

    thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
    thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww that sounds like such a fantastic little trip. I always love a good trip in the mountains and spending some quality time in the cabins. People usually wear shorts and such on these trips, but you're like a beautiful box of crayola. Seriously love the explosion of colors, as per the usual. It encapsulates your vibrant personality so well :)

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun trip! It's nice sometimes to have a change in scenery, even if it's not that far away. Those necklaces from the flea market are so cute, and only $10? What?! That's amazing!
    Also, I laughed at the jumping picture. It really does seem like every jumping picture ends up like that haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that dress and so bright and intense colors make me smile. You look like a beautiful rainbow in the sun!

    ReplyDelete