Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Playing with Color

Three ways to maximize the potential of your wardrobe through color!


Today I set out to create three separate looks that would demonstrate the wonderful ways that color can be used to get more "bang for your buck" when working with your wardrobe!  Color is such an important element of style; texture is great, prints, patterns and themes are great too!  But you can put an amazing outfit together strictly through the use of color, and I am here to show you how!  There are three different types of color techniques that are simple to use and really make you (the wearer!) come alive. 




The 3 different color techniques:
1.  Anagolous 2.  Monochromatic 3.  Complementary (contrasting) colors

Analogous colors:  Colors that are next to each other on the color wheel- some examples are: pink/red and orange, yellow and orange, green and blue, blue and purple 
Monochromatic colors:  The same base color (hue) but with different shades and tones (red to light pink, pastel yellow to goldenrod yellow)
Complementary colors:  Colors that complement each other and are opposite from one another on the color wheel.  The difference in the colors makes each one pop and stand out against the other.  Examples are: green and orange, pink and green, red and blue, orange and blue, yellow and purple
On to the looks...
For my "Complimentary colors" I used orange and blue, red and yellow- with just a touch of white to break it all up.  I used mostly solids to emphasize the colors, but the patterns in the accessories do a great job of adding detail and variety to the look.  The purse, shoes, and scarf all add a floral accent to the otherwise "solid" outfit.



                          
Dress by Cotton Candy, skirt from Urban Outfitters, Tights by Welovecolors.com, scarf was thrifted, belt from Clothes in the Past Lane, shoes by Forever 21, bag by Irregular Choice, hat from Etsy

Monochromatic:
For my monochromatic look I went with PINK!  Well...red technically, because pink is on the red color spectrum, so I started with a bright berry red on the bottom with my leggings, and then worked my way up to brighter and brighter pinks on the top.  My monochromatic flower headband worked like the "icing on the cake" as well as my bright pink bow earrings (made my yours truly :) and of course a bright bow clutch to match.  Out of all the looks, you would think this would be the most simple- but it can actually be pretty difficult!  When working in monochrome make sure that you don't jump from one extreme in the color to the next too closely together in the outfit.  It may end up looking too severe- instead, start with the darker tones on the bottom and work your way to lighter and brighter on the top or vice versa- it works out much better that way!  If you work at it pretty hard it may even turn out looking ombre! :)




Sweater, dress, clutch and leggings from H&M, shoes from Fashion Bug, Belt and necklace was thrifted, headband from Icing, earrings by The Lemon Moth, scarf from Urban Outfittters

Analogous...
For my Analogous look I went with green and blue (which I love!)  Green communicates growth, life, and nature and is also a very soothing color, together- green and blue create a calm, cool, and serene aura.  This outfit really looked "natural" outdoors among the trees, I felt like a chameleon!  Greens and blues work like a charm together, just get together all the green and blue that you can find in your closet and mix and match the pieces you need to make an entire outfit and you're set!  When using this color technique it is best to try and use the same tones of each hue you are working with (same green and same blue) unless you are going for monochrome too!





Dress from Francesca's, necklace from Clothes in the Past Lane, Tights from WeLoveColors.com, skirt from Ark & Co, ring from flea market, headband from Claire's, shoes from Irregular Choice

     So there you have it!  Three new ways to shake up your style by playing with color!  The great thing about these techniques is that you do not need any special brand of clothing, no specific textures or cuts (although flattering cuts are always nice) just a bunch of different colored garments!  The easiest way to prepare for one of these looks is pick your colors, take out a bunch of clothes in those colors and play around with them on the floor (like a polyvore set) until see something you like!  Then dress and go, it's really not too hard!  Now go put these techniques to use and shake it up!  What is your favorite color combo?  Do you want to try more contrasting colors, more analogous or more monochrome?  I know I'll be trying more monochrome!

                                                                         xo

7 comments:

  1. You are sincerely the queen of color!!! I love these! I don't wear loads of color like this one bit but I think it is wonderful! How inspiring you are.
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Victoria, you're too sweet!! I love to hear that you find me inspiring! :) Rock on!

      Delete
  2. this is SO much fun! i love all the color - i love that orange/pink dress on you - i wanted that dress for awhile but decided it wouldn't look good on me - i love it on you! i love all the fun color - i'm a big fan of bright, bold colors also

    <3 katherine
    of corgis & cocktails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine!! I checked out your site, I love it!! I am now a follower, haha. I absolutely love the dress you have from Sugarhill Boutique, I've been staring at a few myself, they have the cutest and most novel prints!

      Delete
  3. Stopping by from ModSquad. Love that headband in the second set of photos. Gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Desiree! I use that headband for SO many outfits. I got it at Claire's, haha! Now I've been inspired to make a few like it in different colors (I use to have a blue one too but I lost it when I moved!)

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog, and I love your style and use of color! :)

    ReplyDelete